Back to Job List
- Category :
- Engineer / Naval Architect
- Full Time
- Mid Career
Announcement #: 19-323-01EX Title, Series, Grade (Code) Refrigeration Engineer, WM 9945-15
Base Salary: $48,735 Per annum Type of Appointment: Excepted Service Career-Conditional Opening Date: December 3, 2018 Closing Date January 2, 2019 Location: Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide Who May Apply: All United States citizens and current Military Sealift Command Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) eligible to apply under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA). Active Duty Service Members (ADSMs) must submit a certification (i.e., statement of service) at the time of application which certifies that the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Duties: The Refrigeration Engineer is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
The duties of the Refrigeration Engineer include, but are not limited to, the proper monitoring of his/her designated equipment for proper operation, maintenance and repair of all shipboard domestic refrigeration and air conditioning systems, standalone A/C package units, walk-in reefers, reach-in reefers, water fountains, refrigerant air dryer systems, air handling units, air filtration systems, and steam heating coils. He/she will be responsible to maintain proper climate control and air conditioning of ship’s habitable areas, and record and maintain proper documentation and inventory as designated by EPA and other regulatory bodies in relation to the maintenance, charging recycling, or charging procedures. He/she will be proficient in the use of hand tools, power tools, and refrigeration specific tools such as reclaiming/recycling/evacuating equipment, vacuum pump, halide leak detectors, dial-a-charge, oxy-acetylene torch or other brazing/soldering heat source, and tubing benders. He/she works under the supervision to the First Assistant Engineer, and performs other duties as assigned. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of
age and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months
remaining of expiration date.
2. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)and/or Department (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
3. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) Refrigeration Engineer
QMED Refrigeration Engineer/Electrician
QMED Any Engine Rating (“Any” indicates Mariner holds all Five (5) unlicensed Engine Department ratings).
4. Licensing/Certification requirements: Must submit a current and valid Universal ODS Certificate in accordance with the Environmental Protection agency (EPA) requirements.
Evaluation Criteria: Applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine the degree to which applicants possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below that are essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position for which applications are being considered.
1. Knowledge of refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
2. Skill in the use of hand tools, power tools, and AC&R specific tools.
3. Ability to troubleshoot AC&R equipment.
4. Skill in computer, oral and written communication, including demonstrated ability to use common MSC applications such as MS-Office, SAMM, LogBook, ShipClip, etc.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.
Conditions of Employment 1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysis testing.
2. Able to obtain and maintain security clearance eligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations (arranged by MSC) and maintain MSC medical requirements. Participate in vaccine immunization; including a tuberculosis (TB) screening test is also required. TB screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medical examination, but can usually be obtained from your personal medical provider or free at any local public health clinic. If you have previously had a positive TB skin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skin test is not required. You must instead provide the medical department written proof that you have completed treatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you have started treatment with medicine, or that such treatment is not warranted as determined by competent medical authority.
4. Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses, including personal survival, which requires the ability to float in the water for a minimum of sixty (60) seconds.
5. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duties of this position worldwide at all times.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to work in a shipboard environment and wear protective equipment worldwide at all times.
7. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass an English language competency test.
8. Participate in direct deposit/electronic funds transfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
9. Capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments, fails the physical examination, fails the language competency test, fails the drug test, fails to disclose employment information, fails to report to new employee orientation, or is unable to obtain a security clearance.
b. On a case-by-case basis, an applicant who accepts a tentative offer of employment will be required to provide a VA Rating Decisions and/or Office of Worker’s Compensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled Awards.
Military Sealift Command
6353 Center Drive building 8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA, 23502
Work Phone : 757-341-4610
6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA, 23502