Back to Job List
- Category :
- Vessel Operations
- Full Time
- Mid Career
Announcement #: 19-332-01EX Title, Series, Grade (Code) Pumpman (D), WM-9955-15
Base Salary: $47,669 per annum Type of Appointment: Excepted Service Career-Conditional Opening Date: December 3, 2018 Closing Date January 2, 2019 Location: Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide Who May Apply: All United States citizens and current Military Sealift Command Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) eligible to apply under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA). Active Duty Service Members (ADSMs) must submit a certification (i.e., statement of service) at the time of application which certifies that the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Duties: The Pumpman is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
The Pumpman performs all work necessary for the safe and proper operation of the liquid cargo transfer system. This includes but is not limited to: liquid cargo transfer pumps, liquid cargo stripping pumps, liquid cargo coalescers and separators, strainers, filters, associated piping, valves, fittings and deck machinery directly related to the transfer of liquid cargo. The Pumpman is responsible for performing routine required maintenance, repairs, SAMM, and Condition Based Monitoring repairs and maintenance actions. These activities include, but are not limited to: correcting leaks, packing valves, greasing fittings, glands, bearings and reach rods. The incumbent shall be fully capable of overhauling, repairing and rebuilding valves, pumps, reach rods, packing glands, and stuffing tubes. The incumbent is required to be proficient in the performance of shipboard engineering casualty drills, fire drills, collision drills, and performing all duties as assigned. The incumbent must have the ability to perform assigned duties and carry out instructions safely and efficiently. The incumbent must take the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. The Pumpman shall have a complete knowledge of MSC safety policies and practices, specifically including handling of flammable/dangerous liquids and confined space entry procedures, as well as the MSC Lockout/Tag-out program, procedures and policies.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months
remaining of expiration date.
2. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card
(CAC) ten (10) months remaining of expiration date.
3. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
- USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsed as:
- Qualified Member of the Engine Department QMED Pumpman/Machinist,
- QMED Any Engine Rating ("Any" indicates mariner holds all Five (5) Unlicensed Engine Department ratings),
- STCW Certificate endorsed as: Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (RFPEW),
- Must hold the endorsement of Tankerman Assistant (DL) or higher and Basic Oil Tanker Cargo Operations on the Merchant Mariner Credential.
Evaluation Criteria: Applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine the degree to which applicants possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below that are essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position for which applications are being considered.
1. Knowledge and ability to operate, maintain, repair liquid cargo, and ballast systems and associated equipment.
2. Ability to use hand tools, measuring instruments to maintain and repair pump room equipment.
3. Knowledge and ability to use, read and effectively interpret technical manuals and blue prints.
4. Ability to communicate orally and in writing, including demonstrated ability to use common MSC computer applications such as MS-Office, SAMM, ShipClip, SMS, etc.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.
Conditions of Employment 1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysis testing.
2. Able to obtain and maintain security clearance eligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations (arranged by MSC) and maintain MSC medical requirements. Participate in vaccine immunization; including a tuberculosis (TB) screening test is also required. TB screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medical examination, but can usually be obtained from your personal medical provider or free at any local public health clinic. If you have previously had a positive TB skin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skin test is not required. You must instead provide the medical department written proof that you have completed treatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you have started treatment with medicine, or that such treatment is not warranted as determined by competent medical authority.
4. Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses, including personal survival, which requires the ability to float in the water for a minimum of sixty (60) seconds.
5. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duties of this position worldwide at all times.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to work in a shipboard environment and wear protective equipment worldwide at all times.
7. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass an English language competency test.
8. Participate in direct deposit/electronic funds transfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
9. Capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments, fails the physical examination, fails the language competency test, fails the drug test, fails to disclose employment information, fails to report to new employee orientation, or is unable to obtain a security clearance.
b. On a case-by-case basis, an applicant who accepts a tentative offer of employment will be required to provide a VA Rating Decisions and/or Office of Worker’s Compensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled Awards.
- USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsed as:
Military Sealift Command
6353 Center Drive building 8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA, 23502
Work Phone : 757-341-4610
6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA, 23502